After Charlie Beck was selected to be the new chief of the Los Angeles Police Department, he emailed the community to introduce himself. He said, “You should know that this is not just a job to me. This is who I am. You could say it’s in my blood: my father, sister, wife, daughter and son are all cops.”
Countless books have been written defending Christianity as not a religion. Some, however, did an excellent job; others just confused the wits of everybody. By borrowing Chief Beck’s line of thought when he told the community who he is, you could also say that Christianity is having the life of God in the blood of every believer.
It is true that nobody can become a Christian by any human effort. It is only by the grace of God that a man can become a child of God. Because spiritual birth is from God alone, it is therefore an act of God to impart His very life in man’s spirit to become a child of His.
In fact, you need to realize that when you were born, your spirit is without the life of God. It’s no wonder that man is restless and confused, and there is the longing in his soul to fill that spiritual void. To put it another way, only the Spirit of God can fill that vacuum.
During his earthly ministry, Jesus encountered people from all walks of life. Multitudes followed him for many reasons; some for curiosity and others for just being arrogant cynics. In fact, Jesus knew the evil in man’s heart; it is wicked and full of inequity.
- “Because of the miraculous signs Jesus did in Jerusalem at the Passover celebration, many began to trust in him. But Jesus didn’t trust them, because he knew human nature. No one needed to tell him what mankind is really like.” (John 2:23-25 NLT)
When Jesus told Nicodemus that unless he is reborn in the spirit, he can not enter/see the Kingdom of God. Nicodemus was baffled. Jesus then challenged his spiritual discernment. Indeed, Nicodemus was stunned in a state of angst. Here is a man, a religious intellect and a Pharisee, who supposedly has the answers to the basic spiritual concerns; but he was just another short sighted religious fanatic. He failed to see beyond the physical realm.
- “There was a man named Nicodemus who was a Pharisee and a Jewish leader. One night he went to Jesus and said, “Sir, we know that God has sent you to teach us. You could not work these miracles, unless God were with you.” Jesus replied, “I tell you for certain that you must be born from above before you can see God’s kingdom!” Nicodemus asked, “How can a grown man ever be born a second time?” (John 3:1-4 CEV)
Who could explain it then? The answer is obvious. It is you, who is born in the spirit, who could be able to explain it. Deep inside you, you know you are a child of God, because you are born in the spirit, the life of God is in you, and His Word is working in you.
- “But you have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, so you don’t need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true – it is not a lie. So just as he taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ.” (1 John 2:27 NLT)
To put it bluntly, Christianity is “the life.” It is not a lifestyle, not a state of mind, not an ideology, not a philosophy, not a delusion, not a make believe, not a “don’t do this and don’t do that” dogma, and most importantly it is not a “we are holier than you” attitude.
Actually, the apostle John testifies that Jesus is the word of life and in Him is the life of God. Therefore, only in Jesus you can find life, and that life is the very life of God.
- “We proclaim to you the one who existed from the beginning, whom we have heard and seen. We saw him with our own eyes and touched him with our own hands. He is the Word of life. This one who is life was revealed to us, and we have seen him.” (John 1:1-2a NLT)
- “And this is what God has testified: He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has the life; whoever does not have the God’s Son does not have life.” (1 John 5:11-12 NLT)
Also, according to Apostle Peter, when a Christian is born again he received the new life which is the eternal life of God. And this life comes from the living word of God.
- “For you have been born again, but not to a life that will quickly end. Your new life will last forever because it comes from the eternal, living word of God.” (1 Peter 1:23 NLT)
Furthermore, the Apostle Paul detailed the process of being born in the spirit. He revealed that you have to confess that Jesus is Lord in your life, and believe that Jesus has risen from the dead. In short, “confess” means to speak out the word of God. Ultimately, when you speak or confess God’s word, the word will manifest in your life, spiritual first and physical second.
- “If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.” (Romans 10:9-10 NLT)