Of course most of us, at one time, had a thought of becoming a millionaire. There is nothing wrong with that, as a matter of fact, it is cool to be a millionaire. It is a great feeling to shop around and buy anything you want without checking how much it cost. You care less how you are going to pay. You are not intimidated by the price tags and not afraid to pay in cash – that is called financial freedom.
From the beginning of time, men have attempted in many ways to become super wealthy. And greed creeps in. Kings and kingdoms were conquered in the most vicious attacks and fierce invasions in the name of wealth. Man has become the victim of his own desires.
The following Bible verses give us insights of the dangers of acquiring wealth not according to God’s principles:
- “Wealth from get-rich-quick schemes quickly disappears; wealth from hard work grows overtime.” (Proverbs 13:11 NLT)
- “The trustworthy person will get a rich reward, but a person who wants quick riches will get into trouble. (Proverbs 28:20)
- “Like a partridge that hatches eggs she has not laid, so are those who get their wealth by unjust means. At midlife they will lose their riches; in the end, they will become poor old fools.” (Jeremiah 17:11 NLT)
- “Wealth created by a lying tongue is a vanishing mist and a deadly trap.” (Proverbs 21:6 NLT)
- “Greed brings grief to the whole family, but those who hate bribes will live.” (Proverbs 15:27 NLT)
- “Those who love money will never have enough. How meaningless to think that wealth brings true happiness!” (Ecclesiastes 5:10 NLT)
- People who work hard sleep well, whether they eat little or much. But the rich seldom get a good night’s sleep.” (Ecclesiastes 5:12)
Wealth gained through lies and deceptions is an ambush. You are a sitting duck, and at anytime your riches vanish like a shot. Thus, you become desolate – reduced to nothing.
On the other hand, God wants you to be wealthy and healthy. Wealth acquired according to the principles of God brings blessings. They will never cause turmoil, but joy and peace. Below are some verses from the Bible that speaks of wealth from God.
- “… Let the LORD be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.” (Psalm 35:27 KJV)
- The blessing of the LORD brings wealth, and he adds no trouble to it.” (Proverbs 10:22 NLT)
- And it is a good thing to receive wealth from God and the good health to enjoy it. To enjoy your work and accept your lot in life – this is indeed a gift from God. (Ecclesiastes 5:19 NLT)